Monday, January 16, 2012

So Many Sights, So Little Time

The past few days have been packed with all sorts of adventures, so I will probably find myself blogging more often just so I don't forget the details!

Thursday was our first free day post-orientation. I sort of wish they had more events planned for later in the week because we literally had Thursday-Sunday with nothing to do, so I was afraid I'd end up getting really bored and staying in my room. Thursday was far from that, luckily. I met up with Anna, Michelle and Emily and we went down to Westminster to see Big Ben, the Eye, and Westminster Abbey. To our dismay, when we got to the Eye we learned it was closed for the next two weeks, so we couldn't get on like we had planned, but all the better reason to go back down in a few weeks when it reopens. From there we just sort of went where the wind took us. We explored Covent Garden and went through the fabulous markets (Michelle and I got a brownie that was to die for,) Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery, and ended up in Victoria with a quick tour of Emily and Michelle's dorm and dinner at a delicious Asain restaurant. It seems to be a trend here that our little adventures turn into huge days of sight seeing and walking much more than anticipated.
Houses of Parlament

Westminster Abbey

London Bridge

Olympics countdown in Trafalgar Square

The girls in front of the National Gallery

Friday and Saturday were much more relaxed than days preceding them. I spent the days attempting to wake up early and beat this jetlag, running errands and going on actual runs, and just finishing getting completely situated. Friday night a bunch of us from the larger group that was together on the cruise met up at a pub in Camdentown- a growingly trendy area of London. We attempted to take the bus there as buses are much cheaper than tube rides, but found ourselves somehow on the outskirts of London near Heathrow Airport. Turns out we took the right bus, but the wrong direction- an expensive (30 pound cab ride) yet educational mistake. I've taken the bus since, and have been sure to double check and make sure I'm headed on the right number bus, but most importantly in the right direction. Saturday day was more getting situated and Saturday night five of us went out to celebrate Hannah's 21st birthday. Our goal was to score last minute tickets to see Matilda the Musical from one of those last call ticket boxes, but unfortunately they were sold out. The guy said the show is one of the most popular here right now, and we looked online and you can get regular tickets pretty cheap- only like 20 or 25 pounds so were gonna pick a day and just get tickets that way to make sure we can see it. As the show didn't happen, we just explored Covent Garden some more and wound up at a little Italian restaurant for Hannah's birthday dinner. After that, I called it a night as I had an early morning Sunday.

Sunday's wake up call was early - 7 am- but so worth it as it was the day Anna and I had booked our tour ticket to see Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath. Windsor was first, around 50 minutes from the city. Sadly, the castle was closed so we couldn't go in, but our wonderful and kooky tour guide William took us all around the little town filling our noggins with facts and giving us plenty of photo opportunities. Windsor really is a cute little town. Lots of landmarks- the castle, the chapel where Charles and Camilla got married, a short walk to the college William and Harry attended, with lots and lots of charm. The only thing I wish was that it was warmer and that we actually got to go inside of the castle. Knowing its less than an hour away though, there's lots of potential to go back and actually see the inside.

Windsor Castle.

Royal Garden

Next was Stonehenge, about an hour fifteen minutes from Windsor. We were given an hour to explore, but after about 20 minutes Anna and I returned to the bus. It was really neat to see, something that was truly awe inspiring and it was so surreal that we were actually there, but in the freezing cold and wind, we could only stare at some rocks for so long before we headed back to the bus. Note to self: next time, plan tours when its above -1 degrees Celsius. I would describe it as something I am so lucky and happy I got to see, and would recommend it to others, but wouldn't necessarily see again myself.



Rocks on rocks on rocks.
After Stonehenge was our final destination- Bath. Bath was beautiful. A relatively large city paved with beautiful cobblestone streets, quaint cafes, and lots of history. My favorite part of that day by far was going to the Roman Baths in Bath. The Baths were beautiful. The museum takes you through the ruins of the Roman temple of Aquae Sullis before bringing out to see the largest of the three natural hot spring baths. We weren't allowed to touch the water, and frankly I wouldn't want to - it looked nasty, but you could clearly see the steam blowing in the wind off of the water. You end up seeing the other two, smaller hot springs, the only still around in the United Kingdom, before the tour ends in the Pump Room. The Pump Room is the Baths restaurant that is home to the pump connected to the actual spring underground. All are welcome to have a glass, so Anna and I made a toast to our day and took a sip. Would I ever drink hot spring water again? Absolutely not. It was hot and tasted super metallic, almost like a rusty water fountain tastes, but as they say, when in Rom(an Baths).

Bath Abbey.

The Great Bath from the second story terrace.

Just hanging out with my Roman friends.

Anna and I. Our tour guide was really into taking pictures of us. Everywhere we go he pointed out numerous places that make good photo ops and if you walked by while he happened to be framing one out, you were trapped, no getting out til he took your picture. He was over enthusiastic, giving us all quite a few unintentional laughs, but over all meant well, knew a ton of stuff, and made a great tour guide. He even brought us chocolate to eat on the trip home!

One of the waterfalls still running inside the ruins.

The Great Bath at ground level, if you look closely you can see the steam.

The pump that sourced our spring water.
The trip home from Bath was long, nearly 2 and a half hours, but good old William provided us with movies to watch so the time went by fast. It was a draining day, plus today was the first day of school, so after a few quick skype sessions, I called it a night- my first time here asleep before 12.30! Classes started today, and I had my only one - the body and society. The was classes work here is you only meet once a week, but for three hours- a one hour lecture and two hour, smaller seminar. My class was 10-1 and went really well. I was a little nervous because its a level 6 class which is equivalent to your final year of studies, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The class went great though, my teacher is funny, really good about explaining things with examples and in multiple ways, and even paused to describe British references she was making to the four American students in the class. The class seems super interesting, and very similar to a medical sociology class I took in the fall, so I think it will be good. Only two assessments too, both papers which after last semester I have plenty of experience with. It is a little strange though being in class for such a long time, and having much less formal structure. Our professor puts a ton of readings online and we are just told to "prepare" ourselves with them before each class- no real specific reading assignment which is throwing me off a little. On the plus side though- no textbooks to buy. I'm really interested to see how my other classes this week are as they are lower levels and one is only available to exchange and study abroad students. I'll keep you posted after this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment