Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Prepare yourselves for a ton of posts...

SO much updating to do!

I guess I'll start where I left off- when my family got to London. The week was great, so nice to finally see them again and be able to show them around this city that's my new home. I felt like such a local, it was great. The week went by super fast, which I expected since I was looking forward to it for so long and had spring break the day after they left, but it was perfect. They rented a really nice flat less than five minutes from my place, so meeting up wasn't difficult in the least. Most of the week was spent doing basic sightseeing and then showing them my favorite areas of London like Brick Lane, Picadilly Circus and Marylebone High Street. One of the days turned into a Mommy and Me day, where we went to have my first high tea, and finished up the night seeing Wicked on the West End. Wicked was amazing. We totally got scammed for our tickets- literally the last row in the theater, but the show itself was so good. It was also great to get some of my stuff from home they brought, as well as exchange it for all my winter clothes I sent home with them. I'm optimistic now that rainboots, heavy jackets and sweaters, and uggs are already gone that I'll be able to fit everything back into my two suitcases to take home. Very optimistic thinking, so we shall see. Other great thing about having my parents be in town? Going out to eat! It's so expensive in London that our version of going out to dinner is at places equivalent to like Dennys price range (in GBP) , maybe a Chili's range if were getting fancy. An average meal at an average place is like 12-15 pounds, which translates to over 20 dollars. That's without drinks or appetizers or anything. So needless to say, eating out doesn't happen all the time, but it was so nice to have good food again with my family while not being on a student's budget. My meals of chicken, pasta and broccoli are delicious, but getting real old, and honestly with the time I have left (only one more month!!) and the money I have left (or lack thereof courtesy to a ten day, 4 city spring break) its not worth changing. My pantry still has a good amount of assorted food in it, and a have a bunch of bread and chicken frozen, so my goal is with the exception of things like milk, cheese, eggs, fresh fruits and veggies, to make due with what I have to make sure I use it all up. We'll see how long this last, passing the "meal deals" section at Tesco with its pre-made everything is so tempting, but I know I won't have room to bring food back, and I'm not going to throw it away, so I'm gonna make myself use it up. Lots of potlucks of cereal, rice, and tomato sauce (oddly enough, the three things most abundant in my cabinet) are in my future!

I just returned from a whirlwind of spring break around midnight last night, and have been spending the great portion of today unpacking, doing laundry, responding to emails about internships (fingers crossed) and just settling down before I head to Wales tomorrow. I'm only going to Wales for one night, I'll be in and out of the country in less than 36 hours, but I'm really excited because it'll be my first trip 100% solo. Booked it on a whim, wanting something to take up my time while friends are still away on break and I have on classes or anything to attend. Not really sure what exactly there is to do in Cardiff, but I'm excited none the less. That all being said, I'm gonna try to post some of the 500 pictures I took from break in the next few days, but it might be a slow process, so much to write about for each one! Next up: Spring break part one: Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment